The USS Arizona Memorial is a moving experience and popular tourist spot in Oahu, HI. The memorial honors the 2,388 Americans who died during the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, and is an essential part of any Pearl Harbor Tour. The memorial itself is a 184-foot structure divided into three main sections: entry, assembly room, and shrine. The shrine is made of marble and bears the names of all those who died on the USS Arizona.
The USS Arizona Memorial stands above the waters of Pearl Harbor where so many servicemen lost their lives on December 7, 1941. The wreck of the USS Arizona is a National Historic Landmark and still rests under the memorial. Oil from the wreck can still be seen rising from the waters and is sometimes referred to as “the tears of the Arizona” or “black tears.”
Other Pearl Harbor Historic Sites
- Battleship Missouri
- USS Bowfin Submarine Museum
- Pacific Aviation Museum
Pearl Harbor Tours of the USS Arizona Memorial and the Battleship Missouri are available with IMI Tours.
Tips for Visiting the USS Arizona Memorial
- Tours of the USS Arizona Memorial are available every 15 minutes.
- Free walk-in tickets are issued to tourists on a first-come, first-served basis to the first 1,300 visitors (beginning at 7:00 AM).
- Allow yourself 3 hours to complete the full audio tour.
- The audio tour is offered in several languages including: English, Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Italian, Spanish, French, Russian, and German.
- Using the bathroom before entering the theater is a must.
- No bags are allowed on the USS Arizona Memorial or any of the Pearl Harbor memorial sites. This includes purses, backpacks, and camera bags. However, lockers are available for a small fee for storing bags or other items.
- Bottled water is permitted in clear containers. No other food or beverage is allowed.
- Strollers are not allowed.
If you need a ride while on Oahu to attractions, restaurants, and more, consider using local rideshare service holoholo. You can book a ride on-demand or schedule in advance.
Pearl Harbor Arizona Memorial Tour Disclaimer:
Tickets for the water shuttle to board the Arizona Memorial are limited and may not be available during your tour. However, you will have access to the two wonderful museums, memorial garden and gift store. We will do our best to secure water shuttle tickets the day before. At the time of your tour pick-up, your tour docent / driver will assist you with any questions you may have.